In the World, But not of It

My heart breaks when I stand back and look at the sins of my generation. Society has taught us that the ideaologies of God are not politically correct.  Where has discernment and conviction gone over time? Is it a lack of knowledge? Is it the expansive media? Is it that we have desensitized ourselves by what we allow in our own homes and before our eyes? This has been burning inside of me for a long time now, my only hope is that  our generation will learn from our mistakes and teach the up and coming generations how not to make those same mistakes.

1 John 2:15-17 (NKJV) says, "15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever." We've all heard the saying to "be in the world, but not of it", this verse shows why.  I have made many mistakes in my own life that I have had to deal with at a later time both spiritually and mentally.  In reality, when I look back at those mistakes, my choices were loving the things of the world.  Greed, Lust, Selfishness and Inpatience are just a few of the things that can be found describing the teachings of society.  These very ideaologies try and displace God's Grace, Mercy, Love and yes, Righteous Anger! The life of clubbing, drinking, drugs and sex have become way too rampant in the world. How many times do we find ourselves watching a movie (even rated PG) when you feel that awkward moment where you need to turn your face? I can tell you this, not as much as we should.  I don't mean to cause guilt, I mean to cause conviction. Conviction, because the Holy Spirit will show us what we can change in our lives to protect not only ourselves, but our family and friends. 

I find it interesting that John mentioned the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. All three of these are encompassing of so many sins in the world today.  Everything from sexual immorality to jealously can be found under those categories.  Friends, It's time to be SANCTIFIED (set apart) from the things of the world! I beg of you not to compromise the ideaologies of God for the ideaologies of the world; this is not just for your sake but for the generations to come.  Verse 17 shows us that the world is passing away and the lust of it, so therefore I tell you IT'S NOT WORTH COMPROMISING.  Believe me when I say i'm also talking to myself here.  As my first post declared, I in no way think of myself as perfect; not by any means.  I have had the deepest of struggles, just as I am sure many of you have; But, I want to share with you my experiences so maybe I can help one of you in yours.  John 17:9 says, "And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth." I can only hope that I can set myself apart from the world, so that in the end, the Lord will say "well done my good and faithful servant".

The good news is, "but he who does the will of God abides forever."

Comments

  1. Nice post Lucas...I look forward to seeing you soon. I am going to be doing a talk on the 14th and 15th which is going to touch on this issues root cause. IT is time for the Church to understand why they think what they think and then apply the truth of reality to their lives so we can be a beacon to the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts