Listen in Silence

        John 4:23 says, "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him (NKJV)." The Lord is looking for worshipers who surrender themselves before him and do so with humility and a "real" heart.  It pleases God when we put time aside to talk with Him, and sometimes that talk may consist of nothing more than a peaceful quietness.  I've noticed that sometimes I'm so busy telling Him what is bothering me or what I need/want, that I forget to just sit and listen.  In a moment of silence you can learn a lot.  I know, I know, your asking "but Luke, if God is in heaven how is it possible to hear His voice".  Well, sometimes we need to see that God has been speaking to us, we just haven't been listening.  It can come through other people, other times it comes through his Scripture, as a matter of fact he can even speak to you through dreams, just ask Joseph in the Bible (just a note: not every dream is devined from above, but that's a topic for another day).  Honestly, at this point in my life, I wouldn't be surprised if some day I truly hear the word of the Lord from Him or from one of his angels, why not? Silence may just provide the answer the Lord's been trying to get to you; you just weren't listening. 
        Here's an example for you: About a year ago now, I was approached by somebody to take a more intricate part in the ministry.  The job they wanted for me was something that I really didn't know much about and that I wasn't sure I would be able to do.  However, I replied to them saying that I would pray about it and then provide an answer within a couple days.  Time went by and I was getting ready to call and provide my answer.  At this point I knew what I was going to say, I didn't think I would be able to correctly function and run with the ministry in this capacity and that quite frankly I wouldn't be able to do it; I was going to say no.  When I went to call the ministries founder, the phone went directly to His voicemail.  I took the time before he called me back to read a devotion that I had in my phone: (You Version on Android, Life Application Devotion) it said, "Is anything too hard for the Lord? The obvious answer is, 'of course not!' this question reveals much about God. Make it a habit to insert your specific needs into the question.  asking the question this way reminds you that god is Personally involved in your life and nudges you to ask for his power to help you"-referencing Genesis 18:14.  At this point I literally laughed out loud at how amazing God is and how he speaks to us. I clicked next on the devotion app, this one was talking about the struggles the Hebrews went through, and how in the end it made them stronger. It even said, "...We cannot be overcomers without troubles to overcome.  Be true to God in the hard times because even the worst situations can make us better people."- referencing Exodus 1:12.  I continued laughing and knew that if he had answered the phone a second earlier I would've said no, God had the perfect timing and an answer waiting for me.  All I had to do was listen.  Needless to say, I said yes and am now the Viral Media Director for United Night of Worship.

I think that's enough for now, but I hope that maybe you feel encouraged and know that God wants nothing but the best for you, sometimes you just need to listen to, and for, His direction. 

Have an awesome day,
      Lucas

Comments

Popular Posts