How to Eat a Lemon

    I have what are called Salivary Stones, I was diagnosed about 7 years ago by a doctor in an ER. My jaw had swelled on the right side of my face to where you could see it from behind me. Yes, it was painful...let's move on from the grotesque face your making.I randomly get little white stones that pass through my salivary gland; not exactly comfortable, especially when it happens while singing. The doctor prescribed sour candy, and told me to drink through a straw. The sour taste makes you salivate therefore pushing through the stone. I was surprised by what he said, well...because... it's candy :). . Too this day I have to occasionally eat sour things to help get out the stones, but thankfully have not had it get infected like it did that day.

   Why do I share this? Lemons have become one of my go-to sour items to use as "medicine" against the stones. While extremely sour and bitter, I've learned to enjoy the taste, and get past the sourness. Lemons have become a good source for people that don't like plain water, or prefer the taste of lemonade. It's an acquired taste that comes with benefits. For me it helps clear out the Salivary Stones, however according to OrganicFacts.net there are many other uses for Lemons, including, "...treatment of throat infections, indigestion, constipation, dental problems, fever, hair care, skin care, internal bleeding, rheumatism, burns, overweight, respiratory disorders, cholera and high blood pressure". (http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-lemon.html) This little yellow oval is packed with benefits.

   When I was thinking about my next blog post, I got to thinking about the lemon and how it equates to our Christian walk. Just because we're Christians doesn't mean that life is suddenly going to be easy. We all still have problems, we all still have very difficult times. But it is through those times that we are refined and completed in Christ. Sometimes we have to taste the sour, or feel the burn before we can really see the benefits and effects of the trials. James 1:2-4 says, "2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything".

    It'll always be sour, but I happen to not mind the taste of lemon, it really has become an aquired taste. I'm sure you've seen the videos of when toddlers try lemons for the first time, they make a funny sour face! It's an unnatural burning and bitterness to eat, but has rather decent effects. I'm not a doctor, but I know that lemons help with my salivary stones, all I have to do is "persevere" through the sour and spit out the stone ;). grouse I know. Sometimes we need to continue to persevere and push through our struggles and circumstances in order to reap the benefits. Luckily we know that the Lord is by our side and will see us through, no matter how difficult the situations.

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast" - 1 Peter 5:10.





Comments

Popular Posts